Monday, September 17, 2007



Trouble in River City

No running commentary for this week's Giants game, as I was bouncing around too many things to take any kind of notes on the game. Which is probably just as well, because by the 3rd quarter of this one, if I had any more than a passing interest in the fate of the final, I may have ended up breaking my pen in half and dumping ink all over my detailed analysis.

So here's what I likely would've written in real-time, had I been writing.

Start of the 1st Quarter: still in the car attempting to get back to my home town for my cousin's birthday, and I can't for the life of me find the game on the radio. WFAN is playing the Met game, 1050 ESPN has some inane sports commentary , 770 is airing Jets pre-game stuff at 3, but no Giants. Granted, my hometown is in the deep woods of Northwest Jersey, so maybe I just don't get reception, but still I figure I should at least be able to get a fuzzy reception of what's happening.

I get home around the start of the 2nd, still scoreless.

-Hey, Eli's playing! That's good news. Shove it up your ass, Mortensen and your imaginary "sources".

-Boy, our defense could sure use a jolt of energy.

-Wow, the D looks pretty poor.

-Well, Plax is doing his thing. Nice catch.

-Hmm, our defense kinda sucks.

-What else is on?

-*flipping back* Oh right, our defense sucks, why did I go back to this?

Basically, our Defensive Backs are a liability, and even worse, our Linebackers seem to be even worse. We have a pretty strong front four when we're healthy and active, but even Pam Oliver was mocking us from the sidelines. I can't recall a time when a sideline reporter openly mocked the defense like that, but she had every right to do that. We just looked sad, and the cut-away when she was talking just proved it. Strahan looking dejected was a nice cherry on top of that report.

We still have Osi and Pierce. They seem to have forgotten that everyone around them has already given up on the season. And I saw Ross, our savior for the D-Backs rookie (not really) got hurt, but don't know the extent to his injury.

Aside from getting some new linebackers or a sudden jolt from out of nowhere, it looks like the prognosticators of Coughlin's demise were correct, and this very much may be the first lame duck season where the Giants accept it as such from the get-go.

Next Week: @ Washington, we'll see how they look against Philly tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home